Skip to main content

Muckleston Family History Group

researching all references to the surnames Muckleston, Mucklestone, Muckelston and Mackleston please get in touch via the contact us page with any additional information or to correct any errors.

Home
About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Member Login
Censuses
Family Mysteries
Family Members
Family Stories
A better Life in America
All American Sporting Her
Antiquities and Memoirs o
Bedfordshire Connection
Charitable Mucklestons
Coat of Arms
Deeds and Charters
Family Occupations
Family Reunions 1997 and
From the Parish Chest
Illidge Connection
Mucklestons in Toddington
Pen y Lan and Oswestry
Sailors
Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury Burgesses
Snippets
The Allen Connection
The Beginnings
The Mackleston Connection
The Merrington Estate
The Muckelstons of the US
The Mugglestones
They went in to the Churc
University Scholars
World War One Soldiers
World War Two Servicemen
Wales to Winsconsin
Family Photographs
Obituaries
Main Family Tree
Bedfordshire Branch Tree
London Tree A
Mackleston Tree
Muckelston Tree
Wills
The Merrington Estate
 

Merrington is 6 miles NNW of Shrewsbury. A previous famous inhabitant (besides the Mucklestons of course) was Percy Thrower the most famous gardener in Britain in the 1960’s to 1980’s. He lived at the Magnolias in Merrington which can be seen from Merrington Hall. The hamlet is well wooded and is well maintained with Beech hedges and trim lawns.

 

Merrington is an ancient place and in 1066 the Manor was held by Hunning but by 1088 had passed to the Norman Picot. He had nine slaves to work his land and three villagers, four smallholders and one rider also lived there. In the Domesday book it is called Gellidone. On the road to Walford is Merrington Green which is currently a nature reserve. In the past clay was mined here and used at Leaton Brick and Pipe works and the Old Wood Brick and Pipe Works, both have now closed. During the war there was an American Army camp on the common, this was later used to accommodate German prisoners of war.

 

Merrington Hall (now known as Merrington Old Hall) was built in 1580, probably on the site of an older house. The first owner of the house appears to be William Colfox whose daughter and heir married one Thomas Corbet. In 1615, Mary Corbet daughter of Thomas, married Edward Muckleston and the house, together with other property in the area, passed into the Muckleston family. This was to be the family estate for 200 years.

 

Edward and Mary's eldest son and heir, John, [born 1623] died without issue in 1663 and left the Hall and estate to his brother Rowland whose descendants owned it until the early 19th century. An insurance policy dated 24th July 1881 showed that the estate included "the Hall, three dwelling houses, one Malt house, four ranges of buildings, two barns and a Smith's shop".

Most of the Merrington property [except the house and possibly the Hall Farm] were sold by the Reverend John Fletcher Muckleston some time between 1817 and 1822 to Sir Thomas Tyrwhitt who, at that time, owned most of Merrington. The house was sold to his cousin Joseph Muckleston, Sheriff of Shrewsbury.

 

Following the marriage [in 1812] of Elizabeth Muckleston, Joseph's niece and heiress, to Robert Aglionby Slaney, Merrington Hall eventually passed into the Slaney family. The house was sold [in 1945], by Miss Sybil Kenyon Slaney, to a Mr D Beard who in turn sold it to Mr G Partington whose family owned it until recently.

 

Merrington is part of the parish of Preston Gubbals and many family births marriages and deaths are recorded in the parish records there. 

 

                                          A few photographs of Merrington Old Hall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

               This is a photograph of an ancient sundial situated in the gardens of Merrington Old Hall.

 

 

A listed building since 1987. This is how English Heritage describes the property:

 

BOMERE HEATH C.P. MERRINGTON
SJ 42 SE
3/95 Merrington Old Hall
- II

House. Late C16, partly remodelled c.1700. Late C19 addition at rear. Timber framed with painted brick nogging (some herringbone), partly underbuilt and front rebuilt or refaced in painted brick. Plain tile roof. Framing: closely-spaced uprights with middle rails; square
panels in gable ends (3 from sole plate to wall plate), with angle braces in left-hand gable end and parallel diagonal struts in right-hand gable end, forming lozenge patterns in gable. Two framed bays either side a central stack bay. Two storeys. Toothed brick eaves cornice to front. Barge boards with finials. Large central brick ridge stack. South-west (garden) front: 4 bays; wooden cross windows, those on ground floor taller and with segmental relieving arches. Right-hand gable end with first-floor 2-light wooden casement and underbuilt ground floor (possibly formerly jettied) with canted bay. Left-hand gable end has collar and tie-beam
truss with queen struts and V-struts. C19 two-storey rear wing with external brick end stack. Entrance at rear. Interior: deep-chamfered ceiling beams; cross beams in right-hand ground-floor room with broach stops. Right-hand ground-floor room: raised and fielded oak panelling of c.1700 with moulded cornice. Old 3-panelled door to room.