Skip to main content

Muckleston Family History Group

researching all references to the surnames Muckleston, Mucklestone, Muckelston and Mackleston please get in touch via the contact us page with any additional information or to correct any errors.

Home
About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Member Login
Censuses
Family Mysteries
Family Members
Family Stories
A better Life in America
All American Sporting Her
Antiquities and Memoirs o
Bedfordshire Connection
Charitable Mucklestons
Coat of Arms
Deeds and Charters
Family Occupations
Family Reunions 1997 and
From the Parish Chest
Illidge Connection
Mucklestons in Toddington
Pen y Lan and Oswestry
Sailors
Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury Burgesses
Snippets
The Allen Connection
The Beginnings
The Mackleston Connection
The Merrington Estate
The Muckelstons of the US
The Mugglestones
They went in to the Churc
University Scholars
World War One Soldiers
World War Two Servicemen
Wales to Winsconsin
Family Photographs
Obituaries
Main Family Tree
Bedfordshire Branch Tree
London Tree A
Mackleston Tree
Muckelston Tree
Wills
The Family Coat of Arms
 
 

 

The first known member of the family to use the coat of arms was Hoeskyn de Muccleston who was known to have been living in 1345. He was probably a relative (possibly a brother) of Sir John de Mucclestone of Mucclestone who was knighted by King Edward III in the 1340’s or 1350’s. John had died before 1359 and John’s only son and heir was also dead by 1361. The final member of the Muckleston family who was known to have used the coat of arms was the Reverend John Fletcher Muckleston, Doctor of Divinity and Prebendary of Lichfield Staffordshire. He died in 1843, having sold the family estate of Merrington in Shropshire to his cousin Joseph Muckleston. Reverend John’s sons would both have been entitled to use the family coat of arms but both died without issue, John in 1877 and Rowland in 1897. The coat of arms was traditionally passed to the eldest son of the eldest son etc. Reverend John was clearly a direct descendant of Hoeskyn Muccleston.

 

       The crest on the top of the coat of arms is described as.........

“A greyhound head erased PPR collared”

 

          The family motto is Fideliter which means faithfully.

 

John Fletcher Mucklestons coat of arms were quartered and incorporated the coat of arms of his immediate ancestors. The coat of arms are described as.......

 

Quarterly, first vert, on a Fesse between three greyhound heads erased AR three crosses Pattee GU for Muckleston; second, OR, two ravens SA for Corbett; third AR a cross engraved SA between 4 ogresses, each charged with a Pheon of the field for Fletcher; fourth SA two shinbones in saltire the sinister surmounted of the dexter AR.

 

If you were familiar from the terminology you could draw up this complicated coat of arms without reference to any picture or drawing. For those a little less experienced a little deciphering is required.

 

Vert = green. Fesse = broad horizontal band. Erased = torn off horizontally leaving a ragged edge. AR = argent or silver normally depicted in white. Pattee is a type of cross (also known as St Johns cross). GU = gules or Red. OR = gold often depicted in yellow. SA = sable or black. Pheon = a brabed arrowhead. Saltire – a broad diagonal cross. Sinister = right hand side. Dexter = left hand side.

 

When wealthy families married it was quite common for the brides coat of arms (if she was an heiress) to be incorporated into the coat of arms of her husband. As you can see from the description of the coat of arms of John Fletcher Muckleston, the original coat of arms as used by Hoeskyn Muckleston were in the first quarter, the heiress Mary Corbett who brought the Merrington estates into the family and his grandmother Mary Fletchers coat of arms are also included. To date the fourth quarter remains a mystery.

 

Crests only came into general use during the reign of Edward III (1327 – 1377) and our own Muckleston family crest is now familiar to all of us. Heraldry was a major part of upper middle class life and crests could be used as a mark of ownership or purely as decoration and could be found on most family possessions.

 

Ultimately, impaling was introduced. This was the practice of the two coats of arms of husband and wife being borne side by side on one shield. Where the bride is an heiress they are normally depicted as surtout or across the centre of the husbands coat of arms.

 

Coats of arms can also be divided into numerous “quarters” (this term means 4 or more divisions) and can be used to depict an individual’s complete ancestry in pictorial form.

 

These are just some very basic notes relating to heraldry and most lending libraries will have a good book on heraldry if you wish to learn more, as it is a very interesting subject.

 

In the Shropshire Record and Research office in Shrewsbury is a book containing the Muckleston Pedigree. Within this book are many colourful coats of arms depicting the joining of the families who went together to form our ancestry.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the inside cover Louisa writes “The Genealogy of the Ancient Family of the Mucklestons of Oswestry and the County of Salop collected and deduced from family manuscripts parish registers bearing date Ann 1382 temp King Richard II to Ann 1775 and King George III”.