Skip to main content

Muckleston Family History Group

researching all references to the surnames Muckleston, Mucklestone, Muckelston and Mackleston please get in touch via the contact us page with any additional information or to correct any errors.

Home
About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Member Login
Censuses
Family Mysteries
Family Members
Family Stories
Wales to Winsconsin
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Family Photographs
Obituaries
Main Family Tree
Bedfordshire Branch Tree
London Tree A
Mackleston Tree
Muckelston Tree
Wills

Chapter 1.

 

The Name Muckleston

 

There is a place in Staffordshire England which appears as Moclestone  in the Domesday Book of 1086 and is currently called Mucklestone. Now a small village with the current church dating back to the 13th Century, it sits near to the border with the county of Shropshire.

 

A family by the name of Pantulf had come to England from France with William the Conqueror and had been given lands in England as a reward for their support of the King. The lands they had been given were in Shropshire and they were also given the title “Baron of Wem”. It is believed that one of the younger sons of the family by the name of Norman, was given lands that included the “Manor of Mucclestone”. As a result of this inheritance he changed his surname to “de Mucclestone” (de meaning of). There were de Mucclestone’s in Mucclestone during the 12th to 14th centuries.

 

In Walter Chetwynd’s History of Pirehill Hundred (1679) he writes “Leving one of ye Thanes, held Muccleston of ye king; there being then a church, one hide of land, one acre of meadow ground, and woods two furlongs in length, and as much in breadth, valued at 5s., all which Aldric and Edric held before ye Conquest. About ye time of King John, William Pantolf gave to Norman his brother, all ye lands that Alina, his mother, held in dower in Mokleston, Winnington and Knighton, in exchange for certain lands which ye said Norman held of him in Standon”

 

Inside the church there is plaque listing patrons of the church and these include Adam de Mukeleston c. 1203, Walter de Muckeleston c.1210, Adam de Muccleston, 1230–1344 (probably at least 3 or 4 generations with the same Christian name), and John de Muccleston, Lord of Muccleston, 1356-1392. With an Adam de Muccleston as priest 1356-1357.

 

Many old documents relate to the de Muccleston family at this time, unfortunately only a few show relationships and we have to use balance of probability when compiling the family tree for this period.

 

In the 14th Century a Hoeskyn de Muccleston, successor to Roger de Muccleston and possibly a younger son of the branch of the family still residing in Mucclestone, ventured into Shropshire. The history books state, “The early 14th century had seen impressive consolidated estates, in Oswestry, in borough estates like those of Richard and Cecilia De Camera. These early creations were followed by waves of Burghal Capitalists* like the MUCKLESTON’S the Salters and the Wythifords who figure prominently in the extent of 1393 and who like their earlier counterparts hastened to invest their gains in the rural townships of the Lordship. From the 14th to the 16th centuries there was considerable migration to other towns such as Shrewsbury, especially by people who wished to become apprentices to the rapidly developing cloth trade. Others moved along the Severn valley towards Bristol. Roger son of Roger de Muckleston of Oswestry was living in Bristol in 1400”. What the history books do not mention is the fact that Roger was living in Bristol as he had been outlawed the previous year for killing his brother. (*Burghal Capitalists – were wealthy middle class people).

 

Hoeskyn de Muccleston’s estates were just to the south west of Oswestry town centre in a place called Pen – y – Lan, which still remains today.